Match Reports‎ > ‎

County League vs Ballyduff

posted 5 Sep 2016, 03:43 by Shane O'Connell

Knocknagoshel 1-13 Ballyduff 2-10

On a wet windy and miserable Sunday afternoon in Knocknagoshel both teams were forced to field weakened sides which made for a competitive game. It was 14 a side due to Ballyduff being short numbers.

Ballyduff got off to a dream start with a goal after 2 minutes from their midfielder with Knock asleep at the back. The same man kicked over a long range free minutes later. Micheal Walsh was dragged down when straight through on goal which resulted in a James Walsh point from a free. Ballyduff's wing back came up to kick a good score before Knock turned over easy possession around the middle, Ballyduff broke and scored their second goal. There was huge controversy as the ball was well over the sideline as Ballyduff attacked up the right hand side and the let the play go. James Walsh kicked two more points to close out the half. Knocknagoshel had 9 wides in the opening half and were really wasteful. Half time score: Knocknagoshel 0-3 Ballyduff 2-2.

Knocknagoshel playing with the wind in the second started excellently with Michael Walsh scoring straight from the throw in. James Walsh kicked another immediately after and kicked a wonderful 45 in a great 5 minute spell for Knock. John Paul Leahy kicked a close up  free kick for Ballyduff to keep a goal between the sides. James Walsh and the Ballyduff midfielder exchanged scores. John O Keeffe ran through for a good point but Ballyduff hit back with 2 more points one from John Paul Leahy and one from their corner forward. Knock got a lifeline when a long range effort from James Walsh lobbed the keeper into the net to put a point between the sides. Ballyduff again hit right back with points from their wing forward and another from John Paul Leahy. Knock keeper David O'Donoghue made a great save to keep Knock in touch. James Walsh kicked a free and another from play to again close the gap to one point. Walsh exchanged points with Ballyduff again. In a frantic last few minutes Knock dominated the ball looking for a equalizer and it came through Michael Walsh. Knock pushed for a winner but Ballyduff turned over the ball and exploited the space left at the back and took the lead again. Knock had one last chance to salvage a draw and were on the attack when James Walsh was taken down about 40 meters out from goal. In the poor conditions it wasn't an easy free but Walsh kicked it over with the last play of the game to rescue a point for Knock. Final score Knocknagoshel 1-13 Ballyduff 2-10

Knock will be very disappointed not to get victory after missing so many chances but Ballyduff deserved the draw as they took all their chances.


David O'Donoghue, Micheal Shine, John Brosnan, Michael Murphy, Darragh O'Connell, Michael Walsh(0-2), Milan Williams, Darragh O'Connell, James Walsh(1-10), Richie Cotter, Conor Sheehan, Cillian O'Connor, David Cahill, John O'Keeffe (0-1)