Match Reports‎ > ‎

North Kerry League Division 5 Final Replay

posted 25 May 2012, 01:06 by Shane O'Connell
The replay was played in Duagh on Wednesday 23rd May on what was a great evening for playing football. Before I start on the match report, I would like to say that for those supports who didn't travel, you missed one of the most exciting games that had it all. This game re-affirmed why the North Kerry Board feel the need to give games to all players. 

The game started at a blistering pace when in the first minute full forward Alan Doran (St Senans) fired a free over the bar. Again two minutes later corner back Gearoid O Connell (St Senans) pointed. It took Knocknagohel until the 4th minute to open there scoring when Danny Walsh pointed from play. Again St Senans responded within 40 seconds and Alan Doran pointed. There was 3 minutes of great defensive work from both sides and it took until the 8th minute for Michael Walsh (Knocknagoshel) to kick over a point, but in the 9th minute corner forward Stephen Roche (Knocknagoshel) a late change to the team weaved his way around three defenders and fired the ball to the back of the net. Again the Senans men responded when centre back James Allman pointed from play. Full forward Alan Doran went on the score two more frees for St Senans and Niall Barrett scored the equalizing point for Knocknagoshel leaving the half time score St Senans 0.6 Knocknagoshel 1.3

As the second half resumed there was to be a half time change for Knocknagoshel with Danny Rahilly in and Larry Roche out at corner forward position. It took until the 4th minute for the dead lock to be broken when Alan Doran pointed it took Knocknagoshel until the 6th minute to point from the boot of Michael Walsh and again there was not inch given for any forward to score it took until the 11th minute for Tom Moroney (St Senans) to point. There was two frees awarded to Knocknagoshel in the 13th minute and 30th minute which were pointed by Niall Barrett. St Senans also scored two more points one in the 19th by Alan Doran and 27th minute by James Allman. Which brought full time whistle sore line of Knocknagoshel 1.07 St Senans 0.10.
We now had extra time. Both teams were eagar to get on with the extra time and it started with Alan Doran again pointing for Senans, in quick response Niall Barrett pointed for Knocknagoshel. And in the 5th minute Micheal Lynch pointed for Senans there was no more scoring until the final whistle of the 10 minute extra time first half leaving the Senans men ahead by one point. Score Knocknagoshel 1.08 St Senans .12

Second half of extra time and it looked as if the Senans men had got a hold on this game when in the 3rd minute a shoot came of the up right and back out to the goal keeper Brendan Walsh (Knocknagoshel) which was cleared, then in the 4th minute Micheal Lynch (Senans) pointed . Again keeper Brendan Walsh saved Knocknagoshel when he denied St Senans a goal with a great save, it was all attack by the Senans men when in the 7th minute Micheal Lynch fired the ball to the back of the net for a great goal. But in response in the 9th minute centre-forward Danny Walsh fisted the ball to the back of the net for a Knocknagoshel goal. Possession was vital and Knocknagoshel retained the ball on kick out and within 40 seconds later up pops Danny Walshe for another Knocknagoshel goal there was now only 20 seconds of normal time and again the kick taken quickly was won by the Knocknagoshel men and pointed by corner forward Stepen Roche on the 11th minute kick out and the final whistle Knocknagoshel 3.09 St Senans 1.13. What a finish.