Match Reports‎ > ‎

North Kerry Under 21 Final 2011

posted 7 May 2012, 06:05 by Shane O'Connell   [ updated 25 May 2012, 01:21 ]

The long awaited U21 Final was played on Saturday 5th May in Duagh under perfect conditions. This long eagerly awaited game proved to be well worth the wait. The first half started and within the first 2 minutes mid-fielder Edmund Walsh (Knock/Brosna) scored the opening score a point from a free. But this was not an easy game and scores where hard to come by, as both sets of backs did an outstanding man marking job. Again Edmund Walsh was to be the real leader on the pitch when from play he scored two more points, one in the 5th minute and the other in the 7th minute both from play. It wasn’t until the 9th minute when Sean O Connell scored the opening point for St Senans from a free. In the 13th minute Knock/Brosna where awarded a free which was kicked into the square and punched over the bar by Adam Barry, again in the 18th minute Knock/Brosna were awarded a free which was point by James Walsh. And from the 19th minute to the 25th St Senans were awarded 3 frees, two pointed by Sean O Connell and 1 pointed by David Foran. There were to be 1 point each scored before half time which left the half - time score at 0.6pts each.

The second half was to display some excellent fielding of the ball from the two Walsh brothers Edmund and James for Knock/Brosna and Damien Somers St Senans and every kick out was hard fought and a joy for spectators to watch. The first score came within the first minute of the second half from the boot of Shane Murphy (Knock/Brosna), but this time St Senans were faster to reply and in the 3rd minute Sean O Connell pointed a free, again in the 4th minute James Walsh pointed a free for Knock/Brosna. There was not an inch of space given to any player on the pitch and a goal was never likely to come for either side. Which put the forwards for both teams under great pressure, and each score was hard to come by and a stalemate of 3 minutes with no score on the pitch was broken by Edmund Walsh in the 10th minute when he scored a point, again there was to be a 6 minute period without a score but some fantastic tackling and honest hard work from both set of players. Padraig Quille was to be the leader this time when he kicked over a point for St Senans in the 16th minute, a free awarded to Knock/Brosna was pointed by James Walsh in the 18th minute, but again St Senans were not giving up and in the 22nd minute David Foran scored a point to bring them within a point of Knock/Brosna. This was to be a very exciting last few minutes of play when in the 29th minute Edmund Walsh pointed from a free there was to be more excitement when in the 30th minute St Senans were awarded a free pointed by Sean O Connell. There was to be 3 minutes injury time added on and the coward could hardly watch with just one point separating the teams. When the final whistle blew in the 33rd minute Knocknagoshel/Brosna had held out to win the game on a score line of
St Senans 0.10 pts - Knocknagoshel/Brosna 0.11 pts